Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Reviewing Introduction

Some changes from the original setup.

To begin with, a quick review of how I've gotten here and where this blog will be going.  This part of the story begins in 2008.  After years of plans, I finally make the journey to Japan as a study abroad student.  For four months I lived in the middle of the neon, crowds and excitement that is Tokyo and trying to see as much of the rest of the country as possible.  Hundreds of awe-inspiring places, priceless memories and a Japanese girlfriend later I have to get back on a plane and return to the US.  Being amazed by Japan and looking for a new, great adventure to take I look into finding a way to move back.

A year and a half later, I finally find the opportunity, pack my bags, say goodbye to the US for a while and embark on a new journey to live in Japan.  This time working as an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) in 2 Japanese High Schools and moving in with the girlfriend in Tokyo, a new adventure awaits.  While trying to survive the Japanese work environment, I'll also be working at mastering the language, learning Japanese history and culture.  All of this while trying to see as much of the country as possible.

Which brings us to this blog.  Part a written record of what I've seen and learned about Japan while here, but mostly as an explanation of Japan.  Before coming to Japan I knew very little about the country, society or culture, besides the popular and stereotypical information that makes the trip across the Pacific.  Traveling in Japan I saw lots of amazing places, but didn't know much about these places or understand the meaning behind the places.  There were lots of incredible things around, but why were they there and what was the point of them?  Even traveling to these places it was hard to find more information explaining these questions and understanding why things were the way they were.  Guide books often provide only the simple background and history that might be on the signs at these places but do little to explain what these places really are except the usual 'this place is cool to see and this is why it's important.'  I hope to use this blog to help explain Japan culture and society utilizing my interest in history to shed some light on Japan during traveling and living here and help explain the meaning behind places that one might see if visiting Japan.  While my big hope for this blog is to explain Japan and the places people would visit through my travels and living here; I'll also be talking about a variety of random topics that pop up in my head as I go along.

If anyone has any questions either about something I said in my writings or a question about Japan that I haven't talked about yet please let me know either through the comments here or by email.  I look forward to hearing from people and what they want to know about Japan and making this more of a conversation.  For people who have read some of my earlier works, consider this blog a New Years Resolution for more consistent writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment